Monday, March 2, 2009

Successful 30 hour Fast and H20 Project

So I am so happy to say that we were pretty successful at my church's 30 hour fast and H20 project. Everybody did a great job at not drinking anything but water for the two week H20 challenge, and I think we earned quite a bit of money from that! Then this weekend starting on Saturday we started our 30 hour famine for the building of wells in Africa. We started this at 5:00 am at Belgium Waffle and after eating a nice breakfast walked the 3.2 miles back to church thinking about the 350 kids that would die in that hour to walk back from unclean water! We got back to the church and sadly I had to leave to go work on homework and go to CDT's dance concert (which was amazing and I am so happy I went! Good job Ellie, Kelsey, Elizabeth, and Maren!) but while I was gone people at my church worked on a project with little paper cups that we got 5,000 of to represent the 5,000 children who die everyday from unclean water! When I got back we headed down town to about 8th and 8th to a church called New Song Underground and went to a benefit concert for our fast that a girl named Amy organzied from our church. A bunch of different bands played there including our church's Radical Grace and a girl from my church named Sara who sings amazingly! This benefit was very successful and there we raised $350 dollars for our cause! Everyone at the benefit who performed did an awesome job and it was very inspiring! After the benefit concert we drove back to the church and actually napped for a while because we were all way tired, having no food really drains your energy! After a little nap one of the other youth leaders at my church Max Roth read a little story to us, and we had a small candle light service. We had 350 candles representing again the number of children that would die in that hour. We went to bed after this because by then it was getting closer to midnight.
The next morning we woke up to get ready for both services and sunday school. After those we finally broke our 30 hour famine with a huge breakfast. Sadly I was so hungry and so eager to get eating that I burned my mouth on this soup we had there. So now my mouth is still burnt!
:( ha ha in all it was a successful weekend and fast!

4 comments:

Whitney Baum said...

good job aud!!!

Unknown said...

glad that everything went well, sweetie. love you!

Jeffrey Bennett said...

Was this a no-food or a no-food-or-water fast?

Audrey said...

The H20 Challenge was you could only drink water for two weeks if you were going to drink something. The 30 hour famine was no food for 30 hours but you could drink water or juice.